Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

So Impressed

This past holiday season I got a wonderful glimpse at what kind of people my parents are.  Now, please know that I have always thought my parents are great people.  Not perfect, but good people.  But having to do what they do day in and day out for just a couple of weeks – I have acquired a new respect for them.  My grandmother lives with my parents.  She really is in good health considering that she is 90 years old.  Her main problem is her memory.  Now, she slugs along with her walker, but she does try to do as much as she can by herself – she gets ready for bed by herself.  All personal hygiene is done by her and she can get herself stuff to eat.  She simply does it very slowly.  She can remember nothing 5 minutes after you tell her – so be ready to hear her tell a story 6 times a day (and that is if you are lucky). 

My biggest frustration with her is that she talks about wanting to die all the time.  But if I really think about it – She has buried one child already and her husband is already waiting for her in heaven – I might feel the same way too. 

But my parents deal with this every day.  They get a break during the summer when she goes and lives with my one uncles. She goes out there for about 3 months.  Not sure she will be able to keep doing that, but it has been a nice break for my parents.   My other uncle just seems to think that if you ignore your family – they won’t bother you – pretty sad – I believe he is missing out on so many blessings.   Not going to get into that – God is working on my heart when it comes to that uncle.  I see how this responsibility is wearing on my parents – especially my dad – but I also see that they want to do what is right for her and take care of her as along as they can. 

I can only hope that when I grow up I will be as unselfish as they have been.  They have given up a huge part of their later years to take care of her.  For that example, for me and my kids, I thank them.  My children have seen unconditional love at its finest – not perfect love – that only comes from God – but the best example of unconditional love that we humans can possibly give.  

No comments:

Post a Comment